Jun 20, 2012

Food Battle 8 - Asian Cuisine


Pagoda v/s Sakura v/s Indian Flavours v/s Miso

My second pick for dinner is Asian food. Once again I am not calling them by their specific origins although the Indian food served seem quite authentic.

They may have nothing in common but they all share the average quality compared to other outlets on campus and this quality comes with a price. Surprisingly three of them are located very close to each other which facilitated me when deciding where to go to buy food. Miso was quite the oddball because it was located at the opposite end of campus quite far from the main eatery area.



Pagoda

Disillusion again as it's not Chinese food
Nevertheless they are okay but not as good

Combos or meals come in different price range
With rice or noodles, but both tasted strange
Tofu is the only Chinese related dish
But surprisingly they do not have any fish
They consider tofu in the section for vegetable
From what I learnt, this is totally acceptable

All of their sauce are too viscous if not ultrathick
Whenever I see that, it almost makes me sick


Sakura

Sakura adopts the Japanese "Teppanyaki" cooking 
It means cooking on hot plate which is so cool looking

They also have Korean dishes as well as dim sum
I prefer Korean bibimbap but dim sum is not so "yum"
On Thursday nights they even host karaoke night
I never went to one but participating must be a delight
I always wonder why Chicken Teriyaki so popular
Because I believe like grilled chicken, they are similar

But then Gamjatang is the number one delicacy
This is pork bone soup and it is quite spicy



Indian Flavours

Indian Flavours is what defines food authenticity
Their food is slightly above the average quality

Food is definitely much more expensive
And because of that I tend to be evasive
Everything is overpriced even the drink
Which always gives me some time think
The amount given is so limited yet so flavourful
But my wallet will not say that it is wonderful

Chinese and Japanese food is served by Koreans
But at least we have Indian food by Indians


Miso Stir Fry

Miso is your typical stir fry noodle "shop"
And one should find some time to go there for a stop 

Noodles include egg, soba, rice or shanghai
Sauces include pineapple, schezuan or red thai
I like their lantern shaped boxes; such cuties
Because I always see them in American movies
These noodles can be quite expensive
The amount varies too and this is so deceptive

Found at the opposite end of campus
It is hard to get there without making a fuss


Asian cuisine is perhaps the one that I would consider the best. Among the four, I would pick Miso. The main reason is that Miso have fresher vegetables and that they cook your food in front of you. Sakura does the same but I do not think it will have the same appeal as the Miso noodles. Pagoda falls short in this category because the food is too oily. It is unfortunate as the food from Pagoda fills one up very quickly. Indian Flavours is okay but everybody can tell you that having eaten there will get your clothes smell curry and also the price is a big drawback. Overall I rather have something quick, fresh and taste good at the same and that is why Miso is my best place for Asian campus food.



Pagoda

Price
$ $
Quality
★★☆
Atmosphere
Service
★★
Revisit Factor
★★☆


Sakura

Price
$ $
Quality
★★★
Atmosphere
★★★
Service
★★★
Revisit Factor
★★☆


Indian Flavours

Price
$ $ $
Quality
★★★
Atmosphere
★★★☆☆
Service
★★★☆☆
Revisit Factor
★★★☆☆


Miso Stir Fry

Price
$ $
Quality
★★★
Atmosphere
★★☆☆
Service
★★★☆☆
Revisit Factor
★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment