Jul 11, 2012

The Quarter - 25­­­­­¢


The Quarter - 25­­­­­¢
The quarter or 25 cents coin is the last coin in the cents category but not the last for the Canadian currency and its name derives from the fact that it is a quarter of a dollar which is 25 cents. It is the third coin made using nickel as the plating metal and is perhaps the most used cent coin by society. It still uses nickel plating, thinner than the nickel an has reeded edge like the dime.


I have to mention that the quarter's reverse is a caribou but it is not the only reverse used. There have been a lot of different pictures over many years. They use it to celebrate various commemorative events like remembrance day, 2010 Vancouver winter Olympics and many more. To me there are two different types: one makes use of engraving only and the other makes use of both engraving and colour. Unfortunately I do not have everything as I had to use them, later I regretted of doing so because they were quite unique and they looked quite nice.

Quarters have definitely more uses than the other coins I already mentioned. I use it for my laundry and so does the people who use coin-operated laundry places. It is also the type of coin one would use to "rent" a shopping cart at some supermarkets. At the university it is the price for one page of coloured printing. There are many people say that the usefulness of the quarter is due to the fact that 25 seems a "nice" relatively big round number. However I would say it is the fact that we find it easier to count in terms of 5's or 10's. Therefore even the nickel or dime would have such usefulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment